How does black mold get started?
The main reason behind the formation of black mold is moisture, which can be caused by several things, such as, water leakage, lack of proper ventilation, flooding, irregular maintenance, humidifiers, condensation, clogged-up gutters, damp clothes, humid basements, or even water accumulation around the foundation of
Is black mold really that bad?
Black mold is generally not toxic. In fact, there's not much difference between black mold and “regular” mold. The color of the mold will tell you nothing about it since there are over 100,000 species of mold. For example, some strains of mold can produce respiratory and neurological symptoms.
What can black mold do to you?
The most common black mold symptoms and health effects are associated with a respiratory response. Chronic coughing and sneezing, irritation to the eyes, mucus membranes of the nose and throat, rashes, chronic fatigue and persistent headaches can all be symptomatic of black mold exposure or black mold poisoning.
In many cases, black mold can spread to cover an entire square inch of your home per day. This may not sound like much, but the spread can quickly spiral out of control as more colonies develop in your home. Once you do recognize the presence of black mold, you can start assessing the damage right away.
Can I Stay in My House With Black Mold? It is recommended that you stay somewhere clear of mold spores until all black mold has been removed from your home. This is because black mold is toxic and can cause immediate health issues and result in long-term consequences.
The mold spores can colonize (grow) inside lung cavities that developed as a result of chronic diseases, such tuberculosis, emphysema, or advanced sarcoidosis. The fibers of fungus might form a lump by combining with white blood cells and blood clots.
In such cases, a solution of diluted bleach provides the fastest way to kill mold on walls or flooring. Prepare the solution by adding one cup of bleach into a bucket that contains about a gallon of warm water. Then proceed to scrub the mold vigorously with a stiff-bristled brush you've dipped in the bleach solution.
Paper Material: If visible mold is present on paper materials, you will need to throw out, including books, albums and photographs, or craft materials. Food and Food Appliances: Both food and food appliances in your home that has come in contact with mold should be removed and thrown away.
Unlike the kitchen and bathroom, where constant humidity from steam is one of the main causes of mold, bedroom mold can be blamed on condensation and regular humidity (e.g. from weather conditions). If you are ready to give your bedroom a mold-check, then you should focus on walls, windows and ceilings first.
Symptoms of mold exposure may include headache, sore throat, runny nose, coughing, sneezing, watery eyes and fatigue. In those with asthma, asthma attacks can occur. In those with impaired immune systems, serious infection can occur.
There's no evidence that mold causes cancer. If you're allergic to mold, your symptoms may be more severe, such as lung irritation.
The MOLD ARMOR Do It Yourself Mold Test kit is a safe and easy way to test for mold. Option for a mail-in lab analysis to determine the mold type. Offers three easy testing methods for indoor or outdoor mold testing and air quality testing.
Sleeping in a damp, mouldy room is very dangerous. Research has shown that people of all ages can be affected by mould – they can't breathe properly while sleeping, have poor sleep quality, skin rashes, and many other problems, including hallucinations!